Beetroot & Chocolate Cake
This makes for a very tasty version of the traditional chocolate cake but giving you one of your 5 a-day veg too!
Win win all round :)
Prep: 15 mins Cook: 50 mins Serves: 8
250g Cooked Beetroot
200g Quality Dark Chocolate
200g Plain Flour
200g Unsalted butter ( melted)
100g Dark Brown Sugar
100g Caster Sugar
3 Large Eggs
2tbsp Cocoa Powder
2tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Pre heat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm loose bottomed cake tin.
2. Chop the beetroot into quarters and puree in a food processor.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and put to one side – some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, including the broken chocolate, to the processor and whizz until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack.
6. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve in wedges. For dessert, this cake is great with a little crème fraiche on the side.